Xrysi Eukairia is the leading classified ads company in Greece, specializing in the Real Estate, Jobs, Auto-Moto and Business sectors. More than 1.5 million people in Greece browse Xrysi Eukairia every month.
Our ambition in Xrysi Eukairia is to create a unique environment that will help people effortlessly match supply and demand. Whether it be in real estate, jobs, auto/moto or any of the hundred other categories we support, our goal is to offer an efficient marketplace that promotes such transactions. Under new leadership and focused on customer satisfaction, we are looking for people to join our Engineering department in order to help achieve these goals.
About the job opportunity
This is a technical role but liaison with various teams will occasionally be required. Data is one of the things we have lots of - in a number of formats and systems. You will spearhead the effort to understand where data is, who needs access to it in order to accomplish their goals and build a data pipeline that will be used to streamline data to information and make it available to the systems and people that need it. Daily monitoring of the data pipeline and the occasional problem solving when things break will be part of this job.
What Will I Be Doing?
As a Data Engineer you will:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline infrastructure. Troubleshoot technical related issues at all levels of the data infrastructure.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product and Marketing teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies. Our migration towards the cloud is not complete but is underway.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Perform technology and product research to better define requirements and improve the overall capability of our stack.
What skills do I need?
- The most important skills you will need are a pragmatic approach and strong attention to detail. The first steps in this journey can be as hard or as easy as you will make them. You will unavoidable also run into trouble spots and several different business roles will need your help, so strong problem solving and excellent communication skills will also be required.
- You will need to have good command of data structures and algorithmic techniques. Good software development skills in Python, advanced working SQL knowledge and experience with a variety of relational databases will also be required.
- In an ideal world you will have experience with cloud based big data platforms, message queuing, stream processing, scalable data stores, data pipeline and workflow management tools, experience with BI and data visualization tools and some experience with automated web scraping. Also having hands on experience with Java would be a useful skill.
- Greek candidates need to have fulfilled military obligations and ability to communicate in Greek and English (verbal & written form, business proficiency).
Where will I be working?
Your place of work will be our Athens office.
What happens when I apply?
The first step in our hiring process is to review your CV. If you seem to be qualified for this position, we will be having a quick phone call with you to welcome you to the process and we will give you a take home code challenge to work on your own time. Once you submit the response to the code challenge, we will have an onsite interview. The interview time is focused on cultural fit and technical discussion that will make heavy use of your response to the code challenge. The final step is to have a quick onsite discussion to make a proposal.